Anyone who knows me, or even follows me on social media knows that I spent last semester in the absolutely breathtaking city of Paris, France. I was immersed in the food, language and best of all, fashion.
There’s only one way to describe Parisian fashion and that is: effortlessly chic. Their messy hair, au naturel makeup and simple yet fashionable outfits are things I started to emulate into my own everyday look—to look like I fit in while there but also because I realized that simple really is more beautiful.
I lived with a mature Parisian woman but also made a friends with a stylish 20-something and if there was anything that they had in common it was their daily beauty routine.
Simply put: wake up, style your hair, mascara on your top and bottom lashes (to aid in hiding under-eye circles), blush and red lipstick. Jeans and a Breton striped shirt are a French women’s best friend.
From taking the metros everywhere and walking around the city, there are a few things I noticed that you will never see in a Parisian’s closet:
- Logos—unless they are under the age of 15
- Sweatpants. You don’t see any woman walking around in sweats, barely even leggings because leggings aren’t pants.
- Jeans with bling. They can be described as “tacky” and clashes with their overall simple look.
- UGG boots
- Fake designer bags—like fake breasts, you can’t fix your insecurities through counterfeits.
Looking through my friend’s closet, I noticed that she didn’t have an over-abundance of tops or pants and when I asked she simply responded with, “I’d rather buy quality over quantity.”
This is what I tried to bring back with me—spending more on an item knowing it will last me that much longer.
If you want to emulate a more French or even European style in general, my friend generously passed on the list of items you’ll need:
- Oxford shoes
- Jeans—for every occasion, take them out of her closet and she’ll feel naked
- A little black blazer—or four. It dresses up your everyday jeans and can be worn on a day you didn’t want to try too hard
- The timeless white button-up
- Everyone’s favorite: The Trench
- A thick scarf
- Way oversized sunglasses
- Red lipstick
- Her one signature, timeless item. The one you wear when you need to feel strong
You don’t need to spend a decade’s worth of salary on your wardrobe, or flaunt designer brands the rest of your life. Yes, a Parisian woman pays attention to trends and styles but they always stay true to themselves by keeping their look overall effortless and beautiful.